Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Storylines

From my 4-D Systems project with NASA, I work with a concept called “storylines” … not unique actually but highly effective for making changes because changing them is not very difficult. It has to do with listening. I’m going to say boldly and without reservation that when we speak we listen to what we say … mostly. If that is so, then our brains react to what we say. Here are examples:

I dread Mondays.
Teenagers are always trouble.
I love my work.
No one understands me.
I don’t think I’ll ever be good at managing people.
My boss doesn’t like me.
It’s a beautiful day today.
I don’t like people with different accents.
Travel broadens my perspective.
I’ll never make enough money.

Take a look at each statement. Which ones will limit you in some way? Which ones will encourage or inspire you in some way?

Now take those that limit you and change each to be a statement that encourages or inspires you. Here’s an example:

“I dread Mondays” is seriously limiting to your possible productivity or enjoyment of the entire coming week (at the least). Trust me it is. It’s a script destined for your perpetual unhappiness. Listen to it. Say it again. Listen to it. Now take it and change it to a storyline that will encourage or inspire you. “It’s Monday and it’s going to be a great week.” That’s one version. You could say to your self “I like Mondays” as a first step. At least you’ll get yourself to neutral and begin the change what you listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment