Monday, August 24, 2009

Why Do I Do What I Do?

For quite some time now I've been concerned about the future of the ICF credentialing processs. It's no secret it's far from perfect and quite frankly will never be given the inherently subjective nature of the process. For about 3 years I was at the center of the process, even chaired it as a volunteer (2005-06). Since 2003 I've participated in over 200 assessment exams and reviewed about 100 for technical compliance. Okay, so what?

You might want to ask why did I do that? Power? Influence? Ego?

None of the above. I gave my time and still do just for one reason: to support the credibility of a credential I earned, cherish and respect. I want the profession to become much more than "just another good idea."

Along the way I discovered that coaches who know how to coach as partner with the client are able to smoothly coach client after client, to effectively self-manage themselves, to be free from having to know what they have no need to know, and to be able to enjoy coaching for the long term. Burnout is far less likely to occur.

Lessons along the way are always valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment