Friday, September 2, 2011

Fine Technical Points of Coaching

It's interesting and helpful to discuss fine technical points of a coaching conversation. Yes, there are technical points in a coaching conversation ... trust me there are. 

After a couple hundred exams, I may be getting the essence of why and how a coach surpasses basic and often secure coaching competence eventually to reach the next level we call mastery (in the ICF). What's interesting is that this "fine technical" move is palpable ... it's clear, it's wonderful, it's simply amazing. As a client in the exam process, from time to time I have the honor to be heard at a profound level by a coach and to get the full measure of someone else's ability to listen to me that way.

Oh my! It takes one's breath away.

Coaches who have the ability to connect so profoundly with another person just may be gifted that way. I say that because I'm recalling an ACC exam that I scored in the mastery range; he had slightly more than 100 coaching hours at that point.

However, I rather think it's possible to guide a highly competent coach to yet another level. Just as in a coaching conversation, the partnership of the mentor and the coach client is the dominant reason it has even a possibility of working well.

As coaches we frequently encounter the "need to be perfect" or "I'm not good enough, yet" behavior set that provides plenty of food for struggle and angst (for both client and coach).

Over many years I've come to the realization that these two "life scripts" are serious impediments to surpassing functional high competence in a profession such as coaching.

Musing about all of this has one go straight to the concept of 'art' ... fine coaching is an art. Art is in the eye (ear, mind, heart, soul) of the beholder. When I behold fine (masterful) coaching my whole being is impacted.

That's worth everything.

1 comment:

  1. As a recent recipient of the MCC credential and someone who has been mentored by you, Christine, I have to agree.

    There is something sacred about being witnessed and held in safety to explore what might be in the way of claiming magnificence. It is sacred space when a coach can see who the client is, despite the annoying patterns that are holding them back, and gently, lovingly and fiercely nudge them into playing bigger.

    My experience has often been that coaches get trapped into seeing the client as the client portrays themselves, instead of who they are longing to become. It's absolutely critical not to step over anything in their way, but it's equally critical to simultaneously hold their vision of that future Self.

    Thanks for being out there Christine.

    ReplyDelete