Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Before You Leap Across the Gap

This week I was given an opportunity to talk about the MCC exam with current PCC's who are aspiring to that credential.  I've been talking about the "gap" between the two credentials, the challenges of moving from the model of a training program, and the indescribable nature of what the MCC exam expects from you.

I find I know a lot about the MCC exam.  I hope I do since I assess them routinely.  That's helpful.  The logistics and what to expect are a key part of being able to "perform" during the exam.  Another even more critical factor is to have practiced the exam many times.  When I taught grad school I was always frank with my students about the format of an exam, how it will be graded, the time frame and recommended preparation work.  I do no less when describing the ICF credentialing process.  It all counts.

Why?  Well, it's never wise to take things for granted.  For instance, sending in just any ol' recording of a session is a possible road to failure.  The recording is evaluated just the same as the live oral and needs to be a coach's best work.  That requires recording session after session after session with a variety of clients, listening  to each, selecting the best and then having a qualified mentor listen as well (usually for a fee if a letter is to be written).  Ultimately the coach candidate will make the final choice and own it.

So what is the challenge for me here, really?  For me it's making sure I'm somewhat comfortable that what I am saying is valuable and just going for it.  There's another opportunity to continue the conversation next week.  My approach to the next session must be some middle ground between what I know I know and that I don't know everything.  I'll operate once again from the caveat that I am lecturing about the exam which only leads to a listening coach knowing about the exam.  The ultimate leap is next to be taken ... or as one can say: it's time to get on the court and get in the game. 

So before you leap, permit me to ask: How narrow is the gap for you?  Is it a huge leap?  Is it a comfortable leap?  Are you confident you can make it?  Have you practiced enough?  Do you have a safety net if you don't make it the first time?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your call last week Christine. Appreciate your sharing your wisdom with us gap-jumpers.

    ReplyDelete