Monday, January 11, 2010

A Day at the Metropolitan Opera

Listening and Being Present work as a team. I was at the Metropolitan Opera in New York on Saturday for two operas: Der Rosenkavalier and Turandot. In Der Rosenkavalier the audience was pin-drop quiet ... a marvelous audience completely captured by the beauty of the music, the acting and the story. We were, as a group of 3,000 people, listening as one. It was an extraordinary experience.

What was that about for me? The Met has the English translation on the back of the railing. It is immediately available to only my eyes (every seat has this). One can briefly glance at it to follow the story as needed. Here's what I learned by listening to such a level and in such an environment:

When about 22 I first attended this opera ... it was gorgeous and great to see it ... but I did not understand the full impact of the story. Why? I was too young to capture the nuance and the depth of what was transpiring. This time I was not too young but had lived a long life inbetween. I listened with a captured mind and heart and a full appreciation for the story being told in such a magnificent way. Oh sure, I could have been captured solely by the beautiful voices, set and costumes and the waltz we all know too well. Those were there; they completed the picture.

The second opera Turandot was completely different ... a full stage with action and a plot of love and death. Once again, in the same day, one was called to be present, fully present for another 3 hours. Yes, it was possible and why not? What could be more wonderful than to listen and watch the magnificence of extraordinary performance with a beauty that captures the eyes as well as the ears.

Being in the presence of those who were also listening with passion and open hearts was all I needed to myself be fully present ... continuously for 4 hours plus 3 hours. This phenomenon made the length of time non-existent and the stories alive.

What is this all about? Let's see ... can coaching be this way? Are you able to sustain a context of appreciation and presence in order to listen actively and openly for several hours in a row?

What do you believe it takes?

If you read my story about the Met, perhaps you will understand what I believe it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment