Thursday, July 19, 2012

Something About Organization Coaching

While listening to the genius music of Pink Floyd after viewing their bio on the Biography Channel, it occurred to me there are some aspects to organization culture that need bold thinking.

It's not unusual to assume that a smoothly operating organization culture is important to maintain. I was even thinking that coaching could help that along ... you know, by fitting in and smoothly supporting the status quo.

Whoa! In the world of the arts, it's darn unusual for the greatest works to be "smoothly" created (or any number of words that say the same thing). I like to use metaphors to gain understanding ... e.g. relating business to art. I don't see or imagine anything about creativity that could be smooth, without challenges and obstacles. It's asking a lot of the creative process to be ordinary.

Ergo, the great works of art (you pick your favorites) took something special to create. Even the tiniest of ideas can be difficult to bring to life. Yet, you and I do this all this time or a lot of the time.

What  does that have to do with coaching? Well, I'm not sure at this point. Suffice to say, I have the idea that an extraordinary company as with an extraordinary work of art, will tolerate and accept the struggle of creative thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment