Friday, December 25, 2009

Coaches and Communication

Communication models all show the critical nature of listening as key to completing the cycle. It's like this: we speak (with an intention to be heard, usually), our message goes through filters (language, bias, past experiences, motivation, etc.) and hopefully reaches someone (or something) who receives it. Of course it's obvious just having it received (a telephone or email can do that) is not exactly sufficient, but we do want the message ultimately delivered and heard.

There's a lot of noise that keeps this cycle from being ideal but it's how communication works (in a rather abbreviated nutshell, but you get the message). For those of us who practice the art of listening, this level of understanding is rather important. For a professional coach, it's the essential technique of our work ... as I have blogged previously.

The holiday season reminds me ever more loudly how I must not confine my listening to my professional life but must transfer that skill to every aspect of my life ... every corner, every person, every idea, every message. Wow, that sounds burdensome ... perhaps to some but it's not burdensome in reality. My next set of blogs will begin to describe how a coach can listen, hear, filter the noise and use the clues without being burdened at all.

For those who argue that I've only described one kind of communication, rest assured you are correct. There's a lot to talk about ultimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment